My Favourite Childhood Story..

January 10, 2011

I was exposed to many stories during my childhood by my mother. She is the one who introduced me to reading and instill the reading habit until now. She often bought story books for me whether they are in Malay or English. Since she sent me to Ana  Montessori, which is an English medium kindergarten, I was exposed to more English stories. I was very thankful that my mother has the idea of sending me to such kindergarten as I was exposed earlier to English compared to some of my friends. 

My favourite childhood story is Jack and the Beanstalks. Actually, there are other stories that I like but I think I would like to pick this one as for some reasons. The story is about a boy who lived with the mother. One day, they ran out of food. The mother asked Jack to sell the cow, the only thing that they had at that time. On his way, he met an old man that wanted to buy his cow. However, the man only had some beans to be exchanged with the cow. Without wasting any time, Jack sold the cow. When he reached home, he was scolded by his mother. The mother threw the beans outside the window. They slept in hunger that day. The next morning, there were huge beanstalks outside Jack's house. From that upon of time, there started the excitement for Jack and his mother.

Out of the stories that I read during my childhood, I chose this story because this is the story that I remembered the most. I could still remember how my mother told the story to me. The elements that caught my interest in the story is the magical element. Because kids like to fantasize, including me, I found this story is suitable for them. The magical element actually added in some sort of excitement to kids. Jack, the main character in the story is portrayed as a typical boy because he did not think much before he made the decision to sell the cow and got only beans for the return. We can see in the story what had happened to Jack because of his action. In my opinion, the writer actually wanted to tell kids to be obedient to their parents. Kids also can learn from Jack's mistakes that can be related to them as sometimes they did the same as Jack's. I found this story is suitable for kids as the words used are simple and it contains excitement that kids would enjoy reading it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

0 comments:

Post a Comment